Do I need Probate or letters of administration?

Do I need Probate or letters of administration?

Depending on the type, size and value of the assets located in New South Wales it may not be necessary to obtain a grant of probate in New South Wales. There is no statutory requirement to obtain probate in every case. Some asset holders will often release smaller amounts without the need for probate to be obtained.

What is a letter of administration in Probate?

A Grant of Administration (or letter of administration) in Alberta is issued by the court to appoint an administrator for an estate. Whereas a Grant of Probate is issued when an executor/executrix is appointed in a will, a Grant of Administration is issued: When a person dies without a will (intestate).

What is the difference between letter of Probate and letter of administration?

You extract a Grant of Probate when there is a valid will and there are named executor(s) who are willing to administer the estate of the deceased. You extract a Grant of Letters of Administration when there is no will involved, or there is no named executor willing to administer the estate of the deceased.

Can a person get a letter of administration in probate?

This requirement is usually for personal representatives who live out of state. The court may require a bond for out-of-state personal representatives even if the heirs have waived bond or the will waives bond. The court only allows someone to get letters of administration in probate in cases of a full probate procedure.

How to apply for a grant of letters of administration?

To apply for a Grant of Letters of Administration, you will need to fill in the following documents: Service Bureau Form for Application for Letters of Administration (download the “Probate Application / Citation” form from the e-Litigation website and click on the form’s “Probate” tab). Schedule of Assets (Form 226).

Where to file a grant of Probate in Alberta?

regardless of the Probate vs. Letters of Administration outcome, a Grant of Probate and Letters of Administration applications are similar in contents and filing procedures. In Alberta, both are filed with the Surrogate Court (part of the Court of Queen’s Bench) in the judicial district where the deceased had her or his primary residence.

What happens when you apply for a grant of probate?

Applying for the legal right to deal with someone’s property, money and possessions (their ‘estate’) when they die is called ‘applying for probate’. If the person left a will, you’ll get a ‘grant of probate’. If the person did not leave a will, you’ll get ‘letters of administration’. This guide and the service are also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).

Previous Post Next Post