Do you have to be an Australian citizen to get a divorce?

Do you have to be an Australian citizen to get a divorce?

To apply for a divorce you or your spouse must have been separated for 12 months and fit one of the following: be an Australian citizen live in Australia and regard Australia as your permanent home ordinarily live in Australia and have done so for at least 12 months before the divorce application.

How to apply for divorce in Family Court of Australia?

Call 1800 050 321 or if you are overseas +61 7 3423 6878. Court staff cannot provide you with legal advice. How do I apply for Divorce? To apply for a divorce you complete the online interactive Application for Divorce and pay the filing fee. For more information and to start your application see, How do I apply for a Divorce?

What should I do if I end my marriage in Australia?

You should always get legal help when you end a marriage, de facto relationship or civil partnership (previously called registered relationship)—especially when you have children and joint property. The Federal Circuit Court of Australia looks after all divorces.

How are property divided in divorce in Australia?

At Damien Greer Lawyers, the most common statements we hear from our clients regarding who gets what in divorce under Australian law include:- “ Everything is split down the middle” – the reality is that there is no 50/50 rule in family law property matters, nor is there any mathematical formula for dividing property between parties.

How do you get a marriage certificate in Australia?

If you were married in Australia you must provide a marriage certificate. You can provide the certificate provided by Births Deaths and Marriage or your ceremonial certificate. If you do not have a marriage certificate contact the Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages in your state or territory.

What should I do if I want a divorce in Victoria?

If this applies to you and you want a divorce, you will need to prepare supporting affidavits. Get legal advice. If you have been married for less than two years, you and your spouse must go to a counselling session with a family counsellor and file a certificate confirming this with the court.

Previous Post Next Post